Press "Enter" to skip to content

What a difference a week makes.

Well the Beetle has been up at GFB for just over a week and already the transformation is remarkable.  Firstly we looked at the engine as we were told it was seized,  It turned over by hand so we knew this wasn’t true!  However it had been stood for 5 years so we were a little unsure of its overall condition.  One thing we did notice was the carburetor was totally rusted shut!  No big problem as two bolts and it was on the bench,  Half an hour and a bit of penetration fluid later it was freed up. We hooked up a battery and this was it! 5 years of waiting! would it start?…………………………….. Erm NO!.

We weren’t even getting a dash light,  So we did some investigation and the main lead from the battery to the voltage regulator had come adrift.  So connected it back up and take 2!………………………………………………. Erm NO!  We got a dash light but nothing else, the starter failed to engage. 🙁

We had a look at the bodywork as the engine was a no goer for the day,  Which wasn’t that bad.  There was the odd patch of rot and filler which needed to be removed,  And the drivers door which had suffered a slight knock.  And that was sunday over with.

Monday whilst everyone was back at work I ordered up a new starter motor, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, coil and points for less than £40.  The starter turned up Tuesday morning on my desk so tuesday evening was round three for the beetle.  We fitted the new starter and the other bits and hooked the battery back up……………….. NOPE! 🙁  The engine was turning over by now but failing to start. A quick check and the fuel pump was knackered.

So back at work Wednesday and another session on the computer turned up a fuel pump at one of our other branches.  RESULT.  Back up to GFB after work and straight onto the beetle.  Could this be it? Would this be the night? the anticipation was killing me!  So we bolted on the new fuel pump put the battery back in, removed the main HT lead and pumped through a bit of the old fuel to get some fresh through the fuel line.

So everything was connected back up, we crossed our fingers and turned the key…………………………. THERE WAS LIFE !!! 🙂

Seems to be running a bit rich but the important thing was it ran!  So on to the bodywork.

I sourced a rear wing ready for the beetles arrival so the old one was removed.  Where we found the drivers rear quarter was rotten!  So a new one was ordered and arrived Friday.  We have also had to replace the offside heater channel and do a bit of patching inside the car.  So this is where were at now.. Our goal is to have the drivers side all buttoned up this week so we can get onto the passenger side and get the car finished off.

Oh and in other news the garage PC has been rebuilt and sorted so hopefully soon we should have live streaming sorted for in the garage.  So keep coming back and you may get to see our ugly mugs.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *